Skip to main content

It could be worse.....

Well, the word is out. Capital One Home Loans is closing their doors. The news hit us on Thursday afternoon at 2:oopm. We were all called to an "all hands on" meeting, and we knew then it was not going to be good. We got the email just around 11am. We all sat there with a feeling in our bodies, that could really only mean one thing..... bad news. As we all watched out the windows for the "town car" to pull up, we saw them. There were about 15 men standing in the back parking lot getting their game faces on. All at once they turned and as a group, walked towards the building. My heart sank...."yep this is it I told my co-workers." I mean really they don't bring in this many people to tell us we are doing a great job!!

As the clock struck 2pm we all were sitting in the town hall waiting, hoping for the best, but preparing for the worse. Kim T. came in and the room fell silent. She took the mic and honestly this is all I can remember....

"Good afternoon, this is not a normal town hall meeting (deep sigh and long pause) Capital One has decided to shut the doors on the Overland Park operation."

All I can remember is Beth on my left start to cry, and then I could hear the others. My eyes filled with tears, not really for the job loss, but for the friends I had come to make and times we had shared. I felt a strong hand on my shoulder and knew it was one of my favorite loan officers who was sitting behind me. Then the tears ran down my face.

We were then told to pick up a roster on the way out and find our designated meeting areas. We would then be given the details of our specific departure. "Here I go again I thought to myself." I walked out, found my destination and preceded there. Beth and I were in separate rooms. We being together from the day I started, had never been separated in to different rooms. I just kept telling her, "we're going to be okay, everything is going to be okay". We parted ways and I walked into the small meeting area for my group.

The tears were plentiful, and the shock was obvious. The man from HR was standing at the front of the room taking roll. We all sat there just waiting......waiting for him to speak of our fate. He looked sympathetic. He was soft spoken and had a warm southern twang.

"Okay ya'll quite frankly...this sucks. There really is no other way to put it. There will be 3 phases of the terminations. You all will be phase 2. This means you will be here with us until April 3rd."

I suddenly felt myself perk up a bit. "what, you mean it's not get your crap and get out like the last two times"?

"No, and after April 3rd you will enter into what we call a redeployment phase. For the next 60 days after April 3rd you will be paid to find a job. We have career centers that will be set up for you here at COHL. We will help with resumes, and what not. After redeployment, you will then be terminated from COHL and your 6 weeks severance begins".

As I sat there, I could not believe what I was hearing, this is a great package. I mean they really are trying to do right by all of us. WAIT....why are we all in separate rooms? Oh yes, the phases. We were quickly told that we would be the only processors and closers to stay on for phase 2. My heart sank again. There were so few of us, and what about my friends? How and why were we chosen? We sat there for a few more questions and answers and then we were told to go home try and let it sink in, and report back to work at 9 am the next morning.

I walked back up to my desk slowly and quietly. Beth was already at her desk waiting for me. "So what phase are you in she asked"? Phase two I said and just put my head down. I mean what else could I say. No one stayed around that night we all just gathered up our belongings, shut down the computers, and headed for comfort. Some of us home, some of us to the bar, and myself to the Va jay jay Dr.!! Yep I was the lucky one!! (I needed a little humor in this sad mess)!!

After I got home and was able to sit and talk with Kurt about it all, I realized once again something about myself. I'm strong. I WILL come out of all this okay. I WILL get another job. I do know however, I am done with this industry as of now. I am looking to head back into the medical field. More along the lines of a Dr.s office I hope.

I have made some great friends at Capital One, and I hope I have made just as many helpful contacts along the way. I hope I am a person that when someone comes across something that might fit me....they think of me and remember me for my work ethics, and my cheerful attitude.

I want nothing but the best for my co-workers, I know they will all do well. I hope we could all stay in touch, but as everyone knows...life just does not flow that way. May all your roads lead to happiness.....goodbye friends and good luck.

I WILL SURVIVE!!! :)

Comments

Mrs. Tracy Wood said…
VERY WELL PUT...and you are the STRONGEST woman I have eve known....

Popular posts from this blog

Belly Button Be Gone!!!

Goose had her hernia surgery done last week.  I was a complete wreck.  I know it isn't invasive, however it's still your baby going under anesthesia.   We had to be at Children's at 1:30 for check in.  Goose had no idea what was going on.  She was just as happy s can be.  It was just Goose, myself and Daddy, Nana picked Bird up from school and was keeping we busy until we were home.   When they called us back she got all her vitals checked and was a champ.  We changed her into a gown and she got to play while I spoke with the nurse, anesthesiologist, and the surgeon.  When the nurse told me that they would most likely intubate her, tears just rolled down my face.  In my line of work...intubation is never good, it's a way to sustain life.  I know that in this case it's just a way to know for sure they don't stop breathing during the procedure. The Surgeon came by to see us before and let us know what would be happening.  We work...

Fun with Friends!!

Nothin says fun like a little splash park fun with friends!!  Myself and the girls along with Tracy and Dalton made it to the park at about 11:15am and then we were joined by Russ and Austin, Aimee, Matters, Johnna and her girls!!  We were there for about 2 hours and they all had a great time!!!  Goose just loved it!  Walked ALL over!!  Gonna hit the park up again tomorrow with Aunt Tt, Brody, Nana and Little Man!!  Can't wait!!  We love all this outside time!!  

Baby Bird turns 16

I'm still not sure how our first baby girls is 16!  I remember not only her birth story, but I remember loving being pregnant with her so much.  Except the heart burn, I could have done without that!   Beautiful Bird you have become such an awesome young lady.  One that I am blessed to be your Mama.  Your love of life truly shines through in any and all settings.  People are drawn to you for your huge heart and understanding ways.  You make friends easily, and teachers and coaches adore you for the hard worker you are, but mostly because you are a true team mate.   I love how close we are, and how close you are to your sisters.  The moments when we just get to hang out and talk life or not even talk at all and just enjoy each others company are some of my most favorite times.   I love when you get excited about things or when something really makes you laugh, I wish I could bottle that joy up and keep it forever.   We are ...