I have been planning this celebration for months!! It still snuck up on me a bit!! My Papa will be 80 on the 25th of this month...today we held a surprise birthday party for him!!









I woke up to the sound of thunder and rain pouring down this am. "Seriously..this is Awesome!!", I thought to myself. The one day I would ask for no rain...and the heavens opened up!! Oh-well the party must go on. So I got up and got Bird up and ready. I dropped off Bird to Aunt TT and Uncle Phillip...(thank goodness for these two) at 8 :30AM. I then headed to Moms house to help her finish loading up the cars, and then we went to her store to pick up everything else.
We got to Wyandotte County Lake at about 9:30am. Holy moly did we have a lot of stuff to do, and to top it all off, the mess from the rain was a little overwhelming. We asked Grandma for a bit of help from above, and we got to work. Unloading everything from the cars, washing off the picnic tables, stocking the coolers, and preparing for a great time, we were so busy, we hadn't noticed the rain had stopped, and the sun was a shine'n!! Thank goodness for our angels above I tell ya!
The guests started arriving around 11am. It was s o great to see all my family. Lately it feels like every time I get to see them, another death has occurred. Not this time though, it was a day of celebration. We were all waiting for Papa. As we saw the truck come around the corner we all lined up at the railing, and waited for him to get out. I could already see the surprise on his face. he thought he was going to a Fireman's Relief Picnic!! He got out of the truck and I thought he was going to cry! He was so surprised!!
So many family and friends came. It was a huge turn out...way more then Mom had expected. We had some great smoked meat thanks to my Uncle Dave and my brother. Everyone had a really great time I do believe, and the best part of it all was getting to see my grandpa with the 3 remaining siblings!! My Aunt Bert is 89!! She looks amazing, then there is Uncle Charlie and Uncle George, and of course Papa is the baby. Let me tell you they all are as feisty as ever.
I will say I do have my favorite...ever since I was a little tike Uncle Charlie(who is truly my great uncle) has held a big spot in my heart. It's a different relationship I have with him. No matter what or when, or even who we are talking to, if we see one another...you can bet whatever we were doing, or who ever we were talking to...well they are takin a backseat!! I love this man unconditionally!!
So after a long day and some much needed quality family time...I say to you Papa....
HAPPY 80th BIRTHDAY!!
I hope you enjoyed your party as much as I did!! Muuuahhhh
Comments