As I walked down the hallway of the dementia ward on my first day of clinicals, my heart was sad. All these lonley little people, put here in this living facility to spend their last days of what could have and probably was a glorious life.
It was so early that most of them were wither still sleeping, or just rising. I helped two little ladies dress and then wheel down into the gathering room. All the while just feeling overcome with saddness for the fact that they couldn't remeber some of the basic activities of daily life. I had to help another onto the toilet so she didn't have an accident. Just as I wasn't sure I was going to make it through the day.....I walked into the last room on the right....
As I walked into the room I saw two beds very near the floor. They were pressed up against one another, and as I looked down and into those beds....my heart melted. There laid two little frail people still so very much in love. They were holding hands in their sleep!! As I type this I get teary eyed!! It was truly a moment I will never forget.
The story behind this wonderful couple is this...
The woman is 93 and now on hospice. Her husband is 94 and an amazing man. She was admitted first, and he was not willing to leave her side, so was admitted not to long after her....(not really admitted...but allowed to live with her). While he was there, he slipped and broke his hip. He has deteriated a bit since then, but for the most part is still very much independant. His wife calls him "Father Time"!
I began speaking with him, and the first thing he said to me was...."I love that little woman over there....in 2 weeks we will be married 73 years!!!!" WOW!! Yep, my eyes welled, and I had to compose myself!! He saves her a seat at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She dosen't eat very well anymore, but he sits with her while the CNA feeds her, and makes sure she gets down as much as she can.
Seeing these two this am, made everything I did today worth every minute of it. I was blessed by my encounter of these two little souls. I know that if my grandma was alive today...this is how they would act with one another.
To the Last Door on the Right-
The Love you have for one another, is one most of us can only hope to have. You inspire me to be thankful for the love I have in my life, and to be greatful for the wonderful man that I married and call my best friend.
Comments