Skip to main content

A Night We Will NEVER Forget!!

We put Kenley to bed at around 8:30 pm last night.  She was happy as a lark...but totally tired.  I battled the Flu bug for most of the day, so I was exhausted.  I fell asleep only to be woken up by the baby monitor (which times like these tells me why I still use it on my 20mth old).  Kenley was crying a cry I had never heard before, and one I ever want to hear again.  The Husband got up and went and checked on her.  Once he opened her door the cry was so vivid....something was wrong.  Sure enough as I was getting out of bed I heard him say her name over and over.  She wasn't responding.  He then screamed "somethings wrong with her"!  I threw the lights on, ran over to her.  There she was laying limp in his arms.  My heart fell.  I felt her, and oh my goodness she was on fire!  Hotter then I have ever felt it seemed.  I went into straight "work" mode.  I had him lay her on the changing table, strip her clothes off.  While he was doing that I ran to the bathroom to get Motrin.  I immediately dosed her.  She still was not responsive, and we couldn't get her to open her eyes.  I ran back to the bathroom to get a wash cloth to make a cold compress.  Once I got back the Husband went to get the thermometer.  Go figure we couldn't find one.  Finally after tearing the closet apart her found one.  We took it rectally....104.7.  At this point I was pretty sure she most likely had suffered a febrile seizure.  Knowing how common these are did NOT make me anymore at ease.  20 min. late and I still couldn't get a response out of her.  I brought her back to our room and sat in the rocking chair with her.  She was still just in a diaper.  I felt her body temp start to drop.  FINALLY....I asked her if Mommy loved her and she shook her head yes!  THANK YOU LORD!!  Slowly she started responding more.  I tried to stand her up, but she wasn't able to stand or use either arm much for that matter.  The husband had already called his Mom who is a nurse, and she said we did everything right and to just keep her with us for the rest of the night.  Most definitely!!  I wasn't letting her out of my sight!  We laid her down in bed with us, and she fell fast asleep.  All I could do was look at her and sob.  Did I hear her to late?  Was I that exhausted that I didn't hear her cry out?  I felt like the worlds worst Mom. 

However when she woke up this am....this is what I got...
She was back to our Kenley.  Once again...Thank the Lord!!  I NEVER want to experience something like that again...the feeling of helplessness was over whelming.  I am VERY thankful that not only myself, but the Husband have the back round and training we do.  Thinking back on it, it was like we were back in the E.R. again.  We worked as a well oiled machine...each of us knowing what needed to be done, and doing it.  Thank you Lord again for blessing me with a wonderful Man in my life who is not only my Husband....my best friend,....but my team mate!! 

Kenley Rae- You gave us a big scare last night....so please know that we are good for at least 10 more years....or forever for that matter!  You are one of two very important pieces of our world!!  WE LOVE YOU!!!

Comments

Rubydotlarue said…
How SCARY. As a mom, reading this post, I feel for you. You never want to see your baby in pain or suffering, and it's terrible to not be able to make it stop.
So glad she is back to her spunky little self again! Let's hope something like that never happens again!

You're great parents! Don't ever question that!

Popular posts from this blog

Belly Button Be Gone!!!

Goose had her hernia surgery done last week.  I was a complete wreck.  I know it isn't invasive, however it's still your baby going under anesthesia.   We had to be at Children's at 1:30 for check in.  Goose had no idea what was going on.  She was just as happy s can be.  It was just Goose, myself and Daddy, Nana picked Bird up from school and was keeping we busy until we were home.   When they called us back she got all her vitals checked and was a champ.  We changed her into a gown and she got to play while I spoke with the nurse, anesthesiologist, and the surgeon.  When the nurse told me that they would most likely intubate her, tears just rolled down my face.  In my line of work...intubation is never good, it's a way to sustain life.  I know that in this case it's just a way to know for sure they don't stop breathing during the procedure. The Surgeon came by to see us before and let us know what would be happening.  We work...

Fun with Friends!!

Nothin says fun like a little splash park fun with friends!!  Myself and the girls along with Tracy and Dalton made it to the park at about 11:15am and then we were joined by Russ and Austin, Aimee, Matters, Johnna and her girls!!  We were there for about 2 hours and they all had a great time!!!  Goose just loved it!  Walked ALL over!!  Gonna hit the park up again tomorrow with Aunt Tt, Brody, Nana and Little Man!!  Can't wait!!  We love all this outside time!!  

Baby Bird turns 16

I'm still not sure how our first baby girls is 16!  I remember not only her birth story, but I remember loving being pregnant with her so much.  Except the heart burn, I could have done without that!   Beautiful Bird you have become such an awesome young lady.  One that I am blessed to be your Mama.  Your love of life truly shines through in any and all settings.  People are drawn to you for your huge heart and understanding ways.  You make friends easily, and teachers and coaches adore you for the hard worker you are, but mostly because you are a true team mate.   I love how close we are, and how close you are to your sisters.  The moments when we just get to hang out and talk life or not even talk at all and just enjoy each others company are some of my most favorite times.   I love when you get excited about things or when something really makes you laugh, I wish I could bottle that joy up and keep it forever.   We are ...