Skip to main content

Chiefs Rally and One of the Scariest Moments of This Mamas Life















 This day is one that I will never forget.  What started out in a complete rush decision, last minute because the nephew called and stated that he and Marcos, their exchange student were given the green light to go to the parade and miss school.  So, around 1030pm the night before we made the decision that we would at least try and go to the parade or rally.  

So Hunter and Marcos made it to Nanas Wed. am.  Bird had wrestling practice early that am, so once she got home we headed to Nanas as well.  We decided to have Nana and Ry drop us off by Liberty Memorial and we would walk to the rally.  It was a beautiful day!  The weather was perfect.  The sun was shining and the sky was so blue!  Being that it was Valentines Day as well, there was just a loving vibe in the air.  Boxes upon boxes upon boxes of Russel Stover's Chocolates were being handed out.  

We took pics, we ate food, we drank amazing lemonades and most of all we hung out with everyone that was sitting and sanding near us.  We played football with two little girls that were sitting behind us.  We laughed with their families.  

As the Rally neared start time, the music got everyone pumped up.  Kenley, Hunter and Marcos wanted to see if they could get closer, so they headed down the hill.  They made it closer, took some videos and photos and then came back.  At about the time they made it back up to Bird and I, we heard the 1st three shots ring out.  We immediately grabbed our belongings and headed straight up the hill to towards the Liberty Memorial.  Once we got to the top, we were told it was indeed a shooting and to keep walking down the blocked off street and we would be safe.  

The Sirens started and they were so LOUD!  In my Mama heart and soul I knew something bad happened.  I calmly called my Mom, and let her know that she might not be able to get to us, and all the emergency teams were trying to get to Union Station.  Nana stayed calm.  We walked down the hill to where another group of police officers were.  They told us we could sit behind them in safety and wait for Nana to get as close to us as she could.  Once again I can't explain how loud the sirens still are.  The kids were so strong and kept it together like rocks.  I know we were all so scared.  I just wanted to get them in the car and drive so far away to safety.  

Mom called and she was just down the street from us.  The amazing police officers we were huddled by, got us across the street and we were able to walk a few feet to the safety of our car.  This is when the situation really started to hit us.  All the social networks were stating all the injuries and confirmed that one person had already passed.  Poor Marcos's Mom had seen CNN from SPAIN and was so worried about her son.  So he immediately called his Mama and let her know he was ok and that we were all safe.   

We took the kids to get BBQ, Marcos's request.  All the news channels were on in the restaurant and it was just so sad!  We were by no means in immediate danger, but it sure did feel like that... I'm not gonna lie.  

Once we all went our separate ways, I felt the need to hover over the kids.  I needed to know they were ok.  I called both boys and checked on them, then sent my sister in law a text to check on them too.  Bird seemed to be doing A ok, Kenley on the other hand was struggling a bit more.  She text me throughout the night that she couldn't sleep and that she just kept thinking it could have been them.  The shooting happened right by the tree they had just been standing by 20 min. prior.  So we just had to keep talking about it and I kept having to tell her we were all ok and safe.  That honestly we most likely would never be in big crowds like that again. Not living in fear, but not putting ourselves in possible harms way.  

As the days passed and we knew more about the shooting and the victims, its just so so sad,  It just wasn't supposed to happen.  It was a true true tragedy for our amazing city!  

I say prayers for all the victims and their families.  Hopefully the hate won't win and we come back bigger and better then ever.  To my kids all four of them that I had with me that day...I love you all to the ends of the earth and I will ALWAYS protect you with all I am and all I have.  

Love YOU ALL!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Belly Button Be Gone!!!

Goose had her hernia surgery done last week.  I was a complete wreck.  I know it isn't invasive, however it's still your baby going under anesthesia.   We had to be at Children's at 1:30 for check in.  Goose had no idea what was going on.  She was just as happy s can be.  It was just Goose, myself and Daddy, Nana picked Bird up from school and was keeping we busy until we were home.   When they called us back she got all her vitals checked and was a champ.  We changed her into a gown and she got to play while I spoke with the nurse, anesthesiologist, and the surgeon.  When the nurse told me that they would most likely intubate her, tears just rolled down my face.  In my line of work...intubation is never good, it's a way to sustain life.  I know that in this case it's just a way to know for sure they don't stop breathing during the procedure. The Surgeon came by to see us before and let us know what would be happening.  We work...

Fun with Friends!!

Nothin says fun like a little splash park fun with friends!!  Myself and the girls along with Tracy and Dalton made it to the park at about 11:15am and then we were joined by Russ and Austin, Aimee, Matters, Johnna and her girls!!  We were there for about 2 hours and they all had a great time!!!  Goose just loved it!  Walked ALL over!!  Gonna hit the park up again tomorrow with Aunt Tt, Brody, Nana and Little Man!!  Can't wait!!  We love all this outside time!!  

Baby Bird turns 16

I'm still not sure how our first baby girls is 16!  I remember not only her birth story, but I remember loving being pregnant with her so much.  Except the heart burn, I could have done without that!   Beautiful Bird you have become such an awesome young lady.  One that I am blessed to be your Mama.  Your love of life truly shines through in any and all settings.  People are drawn to you for your huge heart and understanding ways.  You make friends easily, and teachers and coaches adore you for the hard worker you are, but mostly because you are a true team mate.   I love how close we are, and how close you are to your sisters.  The moments when we just get to hang out and talk life or not even talk at all and just enjoy each others company are some of my most favorite times.   I love when you get excited about things or when something really makes you laugh, I wish I could bottle that joy up and keep it forever.   We are ...